Designs, fabricates, modifies, evaluates and documents molded assemblies, components, and systems to produce or improve company products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Develops data and makes preliminary sketches, lay-outs and notes required to present design proposals. Researches basic design factors such as ease of manufacture and availability of materials and equipment. Works with other organizations impacted by design development. Incumbents in this position are considered to be a Subject Matter Expert in Engineering or Sub-specialty.
May perform work in a specific sub-specialty such as Automation, Mechanical Engineering, Mold Design, or Tooling. Please see addendum for specific sub-specialty requirements. This description is designed to capture the general elements of Engineering work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Subject matter expert in the design and development of complex plastic molded sub-assemblies, components, and packaging.
· Uses independent judgment and contributes to the development of innovative and advanced design concepts requiring complex molded solutions.
· Leads customer product design engineering for economic production and serves as technical interface and/or company representative with customers.
· Directs manufacturing in trouble-shooting problems, upgrades, retrofits, set-ups, and methods development.
· Leads product development meetings and makes recommendations to product design changes to enhance manufacturing and assembly.
· Constantly Researching new technology or development tools to identify innovative techniques and processes for application to complex design projects.
· Thorough understanding of Lean Six Sigma tools, projects and processes and ability to incorporate these into assigned engineering projects.
· Lead role in large, complex projects with broad scope and implications for organization.
· Ensures projects are compliant with all local, regional and national regulatory requirements, codes and controls.
· Supports all company safety and quality programs initiatives.
· May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Technical responsibility for design and development of automation requirement specification and systems concepts and installs automation and transfer automation programs to production in a smooth and timely manner.
Technical responsibility for design and production of 2D and 3D representations of plastic injection molded assemblies, components, packaging and products.
Technical responsibility for a variety of engineering work in planning and design of products, tools, engines, machines and other mechanically functioning equipment and mechanical industrial processes; oversees production, installation, operation, maintenance and repair of such equipment.
Technical responsibility for the manipulation of the molecular structure of substances used to create new material for use in products, specifically working with plastics or composites that meet certain mechanical, chemical and electrical requirements. Responsible for determining test and performance requirements. Develops test methodologies and procedures and tests materials as required.
Technical responsibility for the design and development of molds used to produce plastic assemblies, components and packaging involving environmental, mechanical and thermal limitations. May design and build prototypes. May conduct mold qualifications and validations on new molds using various experiments. Involves robust knowledge of scientific molding methodologies.
Technical responsibility for the design and development of packing materials, shipping containers, etc., for attractive and safe shipping of products under varying conditions of climate and environment, and differing modes of transportation, using lubricants, protective material, and other methods as required
Technical responsibility for designing a broad range of tools, including cutting and forming tools; designs jigs, dies, and fixtures for production or experimental use; resolves design problems related to material characteristics, dimensional tolerances, service requirements, manufacturing procedures and processes and costs. Applies standard mathematical formulas and standard tool engineering data to develop tool configuration and selects standard items for incorporation into tool design. Draws preliminary sketches and prepares layout and detail drawings. Modifies tool designs according to test or production service data to improve tool life or performance.
· Complex understanding of processes and manufacturing techniques
· Subject Matter Expert in applicable engineering theories, design principles and practices, and design evaluation techniques.
· Proficiency in use of personal computers, Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and e-mail skills required.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Jabil.com/Careers site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.