The Sr. Innovation Engineer is responsible for creating innovative new product and technology concepts from idea to working prototypes. Responsible for leading a team in design, prototyping, validating and executing engineering efforts as assigned by the R&D/ Engineering Manager, Business Unit, or PMO.
The Sr. Innovation Engineer will focus on the development of products at the Proof of Concept Stage. This includes lab-scale methods demonstrating manufacturability. In the early phases of a project this position will work with Commercial Teams to create product samples for testing. Once functional, the new product concept will be further developed by cross-functional R&D or Divisional teams.
Furthermore the Sr. Innovation Engineer role is to facilitate transfer of products in a controlled and planned methodology from design to manufacturing facility.
A key attribute is the ability to employ experience, knowledge of the industry, and engineering/modeling skills to create and produce break-through designs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create concepts, designs and construction of prototypes, tooling, fixtures, product components and assemblies used for testing
- Utilize any construction techniques and equipment to create functioning prototypes
- Building and construction of molds, tooling and assembly fixtures
- Operate all fabrication assembly equipment
- Perform functional testing of prototypes and document test results
- Work as part of a team developing concepts with full production strategy identified
- Support the transfer of manufacturing to the production site through and extended launch schedule to ensure sustainability
- Demonstrate a commitment to customer service; anticipate, meet and exceed expectations by solving problems quickly and effectively; making customer issues a priority.
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Work concurrently with PMO Engineering Services, Business Units, Manufacturing, Test, Purchasing, and Quality departments through the design phase of a program.
- Work to provide a design that not only meets the customer’s criteria, but is also of high quality, cost effective, and manufacturability.
- Present capabilities and results to both internal and external customers.
MANAGEMENT & SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Typically reports to Management. Direct supervisor job title(s) typically include: Engineering or R&D Manager
- Job is not directly responsible for managing other employees (e.g., hiring/termination and/or pay decisions, performance management). Job title example(s) of employees indirectly supervised: Component Engineers I, II or III, Assemblers, and Engineering Support staff.
- Prototype and NPI skillsets in complex designs and systems
- Familiar with plastic joining techniques
- Familiar with incoming materials and receiving inspection
- Budget forecasting management
- Strong project management / organizational skills with proven ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Other responsibilities as assigned. Including but not limited to, meeting project objectives, product and performance specifications, and project budget.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Degree in Science, Engineering or Mold/Machine design
- 8 - 10 years’ experience in engineering, design, mold or model making in the packaging industry
- Computer-aided Engineering (CAD required)
- Hands on skills to fabricate and assemble prototypes, molds, fixtures and models
- Experience with the following machines and processes preferred:
- Computer-aided engineering skills (mold-flow/FEA)
- Set up and operate tool making machinery
- Tooling: EDM, lathe, milling, grinding and fitting
- Fabrication: Injection Molding, Thermoforming, Extrusion, Die cutting,
- Laser cutting, Stereolithography, Printing and Decoration and IML
- Assembly: Heat Sealing, Film lamination, Rigid/flexible welding, and
- Package filling line processes, Form-fill-seal, capping, sorters
- Or a combination of education, experience and/or training.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Jabil.com/Careers site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.