The Sr. FA engineer is defined as the corporate FA team’s subject matter expert for global FA support. The Sr. FA Engineer leads the investigation, analysis, and root-cause identification of product or component failure for complex projects. The Sr. FA engineer also actively supports the Global & regional FA initiatives by providing methods training, development of standardized processes, and dissemination of knowledge gained through training and education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support global/regional requests for complex Failure Analysis from Jabil’s workcells, business units, manufacturing operations, supply chain, and customers
- Organize and manage complex FA projects. These project management or technical projects include, as required, developing a statement of work and analysis plan, provide budgetary quotes, and sourcing third party analytical services. Manage projects of diverse scope as every failure is different so this role always presents new and varied challenges.
- Perform hands-on analytical work
- Train and support lab technicians and junior engineers on test methods, techniques, and data gathering.
- Provide technical direction and leadership for junior members of the department
- Interact with various departments (Quality, Purchasing, and Manufacturing) to resolve/improve component or process issues.
- Strategize and discuss with senior management, the future direction and trends in analytical technology and make recommendations.
- Create and organize appropriate documentation and records. This includes FA related global procedures and processes.
- Attend and/or present at customer meetings in support of Jabil business development, as required
- Attend seminars and conferences associated with relevant FA topics as a representative of Jabil
- Design experiments to ensure results obtained are specific to goals set
- Review and approval analysis data and reports of peers
- Prepare customer summary reports
- FA consultation services to Jabil workcells and customers as required
- Demonstrate flexibility and a sense of urgency in responding to escalation of FA requests from the Plants or any of the Regional FA groups.
- Promote and direct a cohesive team environment
- Interface with external customers to maintain professional relationship
- Promote positive working relationships with Jabil sites and other regional FA groups
- Complete training requirements identified by department manager
- Adhere to company’s standard operating procedures
- Adhere to all safety and health rules and regulations associated with this position and as directed by supervisor.
- Comply and follow all procedures within the company security policy.
- Coordinate equipment calibration and records database
- Resolve equipment maintenance issues and work with vendors to repair same
- Equipment calibration via third party – coordination, execution, database maintenance
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and communicate regarding common scientific and/or technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Strong problem-solving skills, high level of independent judgment, self-motivated, work independently, ability to multi-task and quality oriented
- Must be able to demonstrate high level of technical and professional skills.
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written) both with peers and external customers.
- Familiarity and knowledge in Windows based software apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work to deadlines in a team-oriented environment are essential.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Advanced PC skills, including training and knowledge of Jabil’s software packages.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics, statistical inference, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry, understanding of partial differential equations, integration, and numerical techniques.
- Expertise in applying concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Proven ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and effectively deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- A strong work ethic with a commitment to accuracy
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year university in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science
- At least five to eight years in printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) failure analysis to include but not limited to, PCB failures,
- component failures, solder joint failure analysis, and contamination analysis.
- Experience with different analytical test methods such as SEM, EDX, FTIR, XRF, TGA, DSC, and sample preparation preferred.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university, BSEE, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science.
- 10+ years of experience in PCBA assembly. At least five to eight years in printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) failure analysis to include but not limited to, PCB failures, component failures, solder joint failure analysis, and contamination analysis.
- Knowledge of Chemistry is a plus
- Ion Mill
- FT-IR microscopy
- Ion Chromatography
- TGA, DSC
- Soldering / De-Soldering
- Focused Ion Beam/DB FIB
- SEM and EDS
- Xsection/cross sectioning / fine polishing
- Curve trace
- X-Ray, 2D, 3D-CT
- Optical and Digital Imaging microscopy
- Dye and Pull
- Bond pull/shear testing
- Material/Construction analysis and methods
- Package assembly and Failure Analysis of components (IC, BGA, MLCC, Chip Resistors)
- Quality and Reliability disciplines - related to PCBA - analysis, qualifications, testing, debug
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Jabil.com/Careers site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.