A Principal Electrical Engineer leads and/or advises design teams focused on significant and unique design projects and challenges. Delivers projects through the entire product development process into production. As a Principal, you will be expected to demonstrate a level of expertise in a particular area that matches or exceeds the expertise of customers. Consults on system architectures, assess technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting and oversee design progressions during product developments. Mentors and leads others in the organization to build team members design capability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and/or advises embedded hardware design and validation on significantly challenging and unique product applications
- Leads or advises on new and unique embedded hardware design and PCB layout designs utilizing standard tools
- Delivers solutions that require multiple Electrical design expertise across multiple EE competencies with limited supervision.
- Leads and/or advises system architecture analysis and clarifies design requirements to define the appropriate EE architecture for the design team.
- Evaluating/selecting electronic and optical components, and makes recommendations to component mfg, regarding roadmaps and feature enhancements
- Communicates technical aspects of a project effectively to customer, and can lead some customer engagements.
- Lead design innovations and potential patentable solutions
- Lead resolution of complex design issues and manages design trade-offs
- Train/coach other engineers in design analysis and tools
- Project manage optical performance monitoring features for Coherent transceivers
- Own all optical parameters in Jabil Photonics products, taking input from packaging, optical DSP and propagation experts
- Perform or lead optical link testing or other optical performance as required.
- Project manage development of new packaged devices incorporating Silicon Photonics and Indium Phosphide technologies, coordinating Wuhan, Ottawa, Pleasanton, Penang
- Work to ensure that outcomes from current programs can be applied to other JP projects, to the extent possible
- Work with PLM to find other product opportunities.
- Write design documentation as per the Jabil development process.
- Conduct feasibility studies as part of customer responses
- Undertake design reviews with local and remote engineering teams, sometimes working evening or early morning shifts for better time zone overlap.
- Directs all aspects of product design with minimal supervision
- Mentors/coaches/trains engineers with less experience
- Define design innovations and potential patentable solutions
- Leads resolution of complex design issues and manages design trade-offs
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Coordinates with professional networks to answer unique issues related to Industry or specific sector, regulatory and safety standards
- Broad knowledge developing high complexity projects that have required multiple Electical and Photonics Engineering Design specializations or competencies: Power supply Theory, Digital theory, Analog theory, RF Design, Transmitters, Receivers, Photodiodes etc.
- In-depth knowledge and use of key development tools and design standards: Component derating, DFMEA, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, simulation tools, OSA, power meters, VOA, etc.
- Understanding of fiber optic technology and photonics device packaging.
- Knowledge of propagation for Coherent systems, or demonstrated base knowledge to learn this application quickly and then train others.
- Good understanding of electronics and control systems.
- Broad knowledge (with moderate complexity) of Industry or specific sector, regulatory and safety standards
NON-TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Influence others and share best practices
- Effectively communicate with good understanding of English
- Work as part of a global team
- Assess a project and articulating risk while developing project milestone.
- Develop projects in a stage-gate process (PLCQ)
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Leads EE projects with multiple engineers assigned
- Leads cross-functional and EE design reviews
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Electrical Engineering Degree (BSEE/MSEE/PHD or equivalent experience)
- 12+ years experience in embedded hardware design or other key competency
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access https://careers.jabil.com/ site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.