A Principal Engineer leads and/or advises design teams focused on significant and unique design projects and challenges. Delivers projects through the entire product development process into production. As a Principal, you will be expected to demonstrate a level of expertise in a particular area that matches or exceeds the expertise of customers. Consults on system architectures, assess technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting and oversee design progressions during product developments. Mentors and leads others in the organization to build team members design capability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cultivate new opportunities for partnership and customers to further utilize Jabil Photonics wide ranging packaging capabilities. Interact with potential customers and partners primarily in the North American and EMEA Region.
- Represent Jabil Photonics for running projects in the North American and EMEA Regions.
- Develop opportunities to use and showcase Jabil's advanced technology center in San Jose, USA.
- Work closely with the Wuhan R&D team, taking on appropriate specification writing, process development, and design review tasks as needed.
- Drive yield improvement, cost reduction and ongoing product sustaining for Jabil Photonics lines in Wuhan and Penang.
- Design experiments to further improve solutions for cost and performance.
- Ensure reliability requirements are met.
- When permitted by health regulations, travel to various sites in North America, EMEA and also Wuhan as needed to represent Jabil Photonics but also to use key process equipment in San Jose and Wuhan.
- Delivers solutions that require expertise across multiple competencies with limited supervision.
- Leads and/or advises system architecture analysis and clarifies design requirements to define the appropriate architecture for the design team.
- Evaluating/selecting mechanical components and materials (for example adhesives), and makes recommendations to component manufacturing, regarding roadmaps and feature enhancements.
- Communicates technical aspects of a project effectively to customer, and can lead some customer engagements.
- Lead design innovations and potential patentable solutions.
- Lead resolution of complex design issues and manages design trade-offs.
- Train/coach other engineers in design analysis and tools.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Coordinates with professional networks to answer unique issues related to Industry or specific sector requirements.
- Broad knowledge developing high complexity projects that have required multiple Design specializations or competencies.
- In-depth knowledge and use of key development tools and design standards.
NON-TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Influence others and share best practices
- Effectively communicate with good understanding of English.
- Work as part of a global team
- Assess a project and articulating risk while developing project milestones.
- Develop projects in a stage-gate process (PLCQ)
- Mentor less experienced engineers.
- Leads projects with multiple engineers assigned.
- Leads cross-functional and design reviews.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degree (BSEE/MSEE/PHD or equivalent experience)
- 12+ years experience with Photonics products, with at least 5 years experience in packaging techniques like Flip Chip, Die Bond/Wire Bond, Hermetic, non-Hermetic.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access https://careers.jabil.com/ site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.