The Principal Engineer is an expert in a particular field of engineering or within a particular sector. This role is experienced with leading design teams through full product development and into production. A Principal Engineer will be expected to demonstrate a level of expertise in a particular area that matches or exceeds the expertise of our customers. In addition, this role consults on system architectures, assesses technical requirements and competencies needed during quoting, and oversees design progressions during product developments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Meets the requirements of a Lead Engineer in respect to expertise
· Represents Jabil Engineering Services in technical customer discussions / meetings.
· Works with Project Managers in the quoting process.
· Provides technical input to help identify and solve project risks that may affect overall project plans and schedules.
· Is expected to support the development and utilization of processes for design.
· Mentors all engineering staff.
· Stays abreast of the latest technology and techniques to provide designs that are competitive and cost effective.
· Raises perception of Jabil’s acumen in the industry by authoring or presenting papers, articles, etc.
· Associated with applicable industry trade groups/organizations, maintaining active membership and participation.
· Works with Site Directors to define potential R&D project proposals that will help increase areas of competencies needed.
· Leads the development and implementation of platform and product architectures in collaboration with senior technical staff.
· Guides and oversee the development of system component requirements, interfaces, and specifications necessary to maintain the consistency and integrity of the architectures.
· Manages product design and documentation at a system level.
· Performs independent research and engineering studies.
· Leads remote development teams.
· Effectively consults on multiple projects in parallel.
· Defines objectives of DOE, CPK analysis, Gage R&R studies, and other tools for group projects.
· Develops IP Patents, Technical Publications or White Papers
· May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to develop mathematical models of physical reality and solve them, then implement the results.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Masters degree in Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university
· Minimum of 12+ years of related experience and/or training
· Minimum of 2 years experience as a Lead Engineer
· Specific requirements as defined by the market sector
· Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience
As an Audio Mechanical System Engineer you will take the lead on the acoustic-mechanical aspects of our product's audio design and validation. You will focus on rub and buzz prevention and mitigation, obtaining quality mic seals, creating mechanical mock-ups of early product concepts, provide design support and test validation. You will serve as a liaison between the Audio Hardware team, Business Units and external customers.
In this role, you will:
· Simulate, prototype, and demonstrate mechanical aspects of audio product concepts
· Attend and represent audio in the cross-functional team and customer meetings
· Be a technical representative for audio in leadership reviews
· Provide technical subject matter expertise to peers, senior management, and partner teams
· Support factory builds, including test and failure analysis
· Innovate and integrate new audio technologies on behalf of our customers
· Develop design processes to drive continuous improvement in the audio organization
· Apply expertise and innovate in simulation and measurement techniques
· Debug hardware and software issues
· Dive into and take ownership for critical design issues
· Travel to support engineering builds as needed
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
· 5+ years developing audio consumer and medical electronics
· 5+ years developing Acoustic Front End audio component circuitry layout
· 5+ years overall software engineering and/or test automation experience
troubleshooting large scale software/hardware systems
· 5+ years DFx (cost, test, manufacturing, reliability) experience
Experience in the following areas:
· Solid Works, CATIA, or similar
· Solid understanding of audio system designs that include microphones and speakers
· Development of technical and business justification proposals
· Mechanical / Acoustic simulation, measurement, and technical tools such as COMSOL or Ansys.
· Rapid prototype creation
· Rub and buzz prevention on acoustic audio products
· Designing consistent high quality acoustic seals for microphones and speakers
· Vibration measurement and analysis
· Acoustic test measurement systems such as Klippel, CLIO, Soundcheck, Audio Precision, B&K, etc...
· Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Acoustic Engineering
· Proven track record of delivering high volume consumer audio electronic devices
· Comfortable working in a collaborative team setting
· Subjective and Objective audio quality evaluation experience
· Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards
· Prior experience working with an interdisciplinary team to execute product designs from concept to production, including specification, design, prototyping, validation, and testing
· Knowledge of industry standards such as UL, IEC, ISO, ANSI, etc
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access https://careers.jabil.com/ site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.