Under limited supervision, makes intricate tools, jogs, fixtures, punches, molds, gauges and dies to closest tolerances. Works from drawings, sketches, models or instructions. Plans work to be done by most economical method, utilizing proper machines. May assign machining of parts to machinists and make sketches for own or other’s use in making parts of subassemblies.
May assist Supervisor in the scheduling of work and provide direction to other staff members, serving as group leader on projects when required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Constructs and repairs machine shop tools, gauges, fixtures, jigs or dies for use within the establishment.
· Performs assignments that range from the use of ordinary tool room operations to performing work involving accurate relationships and extremely close tolerances.
· Plans construction procedures and methods, selecting the proper materials.
· Makes allowances for shrinkage during the heat treating of tools and metal flow in dies.
· Lays out, fabricates and assembles metalworking dies, molds, and machine tool fixtures by analyzing blueprints, sketches, models and engineering or shop specification.
· Uses a variety of machinist’s hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
· Computes dimensions; determines machining and material or parts required.
· Performs precision work to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
· Recommends revisions in design and/or substitutions in material based on “machine-ability” or fabrication problems encountered.
· Solves problems relating to unusual material, work-holding arrangements, machine settings, fabrication methods, and production process.
· Monitors and verifies quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures.
· May provide guidance to lower level toolmakers.
· Supports all company safety and quality programs and initiatives.
· May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Ability to read and write English and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals, and blueprints.
· Ability to perform basic math and interpret and executive work instructions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access https://careers.jabil.com/ site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.