Using established processes and procedures is responsible for the design, fabrication and qualification of plastic injection molds and sheet metal dies by outside vendors. Should be familiar with all aspects of a tooling shop and have a thorough understanding of the operation of all the machine tools and other tools used in the process of fabricating molds and dies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Lead new process development activities related to molds and tooling including assessing and determining overall project needs, including tooling and press capital requirement, project timing and cost estimates.
· Specify equipment, tooling fixtures, and proposed suppliers for new processes or existing process changes (examples scientific injection molding, optical inspection, sheet metal)
· Work with Supply Chain Management to contract with selected vendors for leveraged contracts, purchase discounts, service agreements, extended warranty, better payment terms, etc.
· Coordinate and complete molding qualification and validation activities for new products, processes, changes and transfers as required
· Coordinate and communicate assigned projects and their status with the appropriate personnel and departments.
· Plan, design, and coordinate the development and implementation of tooling and molding processes (plastic molding tooling, high cavitation tools) and related quality /engineering activities to support new product development activities and ongoing production requirements.
· Develop quotations and schedules for development programs of tools with little or no assistance.
· Work concurrently with Jabil CAD Services, Business Unit Management, Manufacturing, Operations, Test, Purchasing, Quality and external vendors through the design phase of a program.
· Work to provide a design that not only meets the customer’s criteria, high quality, cost effectiveness, and manufacturability.
· Support production discrepancies by incorporating fixes into subsequent revisions in a timely manner.
· Able to prepare and manage the budget for associated projects.
· Coordinate, evaluate and provide input into product component design, analysis, tool construction, press configuration, vendor selection, production site, validation strategy, standardization, technology assessment/ implement and process optimization.
· Provide technical support to tooling and molding operations to support trouble shooting of existing and continuous improvement efforts.
· Record all ideas, sketches, and pertinent conversations in Design Engineering approved Log Book or Design Notebook.
· Use SPC data collected in production in subsequent programs to ensure continuing improvement in designs.
· Stay abreast of the latest technology and techniques to provide designs that are competitive and cost effective.
· Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
· Comply and follow all procedures within the company security policy.
· May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Possess a thorough understanding of the mold making process from start to finish and have experience managing this process.
· Familiar with all aspects of molding plastics and sheet metal parts
· Knowledgeable in troubleshooting mold issues and die issues.
· Proficiency in use of personal computers, Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word and Powerpoint) and e-mail skills required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor's Degree required.
· Degree in Engineering preferred.
· OR completion of an accredited Four year Tool and Die apprenticeship program;
· Minimum of 5 years experience on the bench and have achieved the status of Class A journeyman.
· Possess project management skills including scheduling and resource allocation forecasting
· Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
· Regular business hours. Some additional hours may be required.
· Travel requirements: Domestic and/or International, up to 20%.
· Climate controlled office environment during normal business hours.
Hands in water
Unusual hearing or vision demands: None specified
^Other physical demands or notes: Employees should not attempt to lift, pull or push a load in excess of 50 lbs. without assistance. Care should always be taken when lifting, pushing or pulling in an awkward position.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access https://careers.jabil.com/ site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.