Lead Mechanical Engineer
Req ID: J2353337-IL
At Jabil we strive to make ANYTHING POSSIBLE and EVERYTHING BETTER. With over 260,000 diverse, talented and dedicated employees across 100 locations in 30 countries, our vision is to be the most technologically advanced and trusted manufacturing solutions provider. We combine an unmatched breadth and depth of end-market experience, technical and design capabilities, manufacturing know-how, supply chain insights and global product management expertise to enable success for the world’s leading brands. We are driven by a common purpose to make a positive impact for each other, our communities, and the environment.
Jabil Radius – Innovation and Development
We are the innovation consulting and development arm of Jabil, the most technologically advanced manufacturing solutions provider in the world. Together we are the only end-to-end innovation consulting and development business committed to solving our clients' toughest challenges - whether aligning innovation with business strategy, selecting the right ideas to commercialize, or designing products and experiences that win.
With the multi-disciplinary strengths of strategists, researchers, human factors specialists, designers, and engineers, we help clients identify as well as capitalize on the next game-changing opportunity – through experiences and products designed to win.
Innovation Made Possible. Made Better.
The mechanical engineering candidate will be responsible for leading and/or contributing to fast-paced product development programs for external clients. They will be a recognized engineering leader from within and outside of the company by leading specification, design, and testing efforts. The individual will work effectively in a dynamic and cross-functional team environment and will have a focus on delivering successful results to the client. The projects may include the fields of consumer electronics, medical, wearable, industrial, or future technology. The role applies a combination of creativity, technical skills, engineering fundamental principles, and best practices to design and manufacturing challenges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to work with engineering management and program management to carry out weekly activities and overall program goals
- Must be a self-starter that utilizes prior experience to solve challenges - on their own or with other team members / cross functional stakeholders
- Must be able to anticipate issues and prepare documentation or analysis on how to achieve positive results
- Must be flexible and know how and when to pivot
- Must be able to create documentation and present information in a clear and concise manner to cross functional members and to client
- Must be able to balance one’s bandwidth throughout each week to meet the goals of one or more parallel projects
- Must be able to effectively work on deliverables, whether it is onsite or remotely, utilizing remote meeting tools
- Must be able to balance the technical activities with the project timeline and budget risks and weigh all avenues against client’s market and product launch goals
- Must have prior experience working through ambiguity within project scope or objectives
- Must be able to create a plan of work activities for future projects
- 10+ years utilizing CAD software to develop 2D/3D designs of parts and assemblies
- CAD proficiency in Solidworks is required
- Prior experience with a PDM system (Windchill preferred)
- Possess a strong understanding of engineering fundamentals such as Tolerance Analysis, GD&T, Structural Analysis, DFMEA
- Able to incorporate volume manufacturing GD&T into design and documentation
- Proficiency in using tolerance analysis to create manufacturable designs and to diagnose existing issues
- Proficiency in reviewing FAI / measurement reports and statistical analysis of manufactured components
- Proficiency in designing plastic parts for prototyping and mass production using injection molding and/or machining
- Proficiency in designing metal parts to be made using extrusion, casting, forging, stamping, or welding
- Experience in material selection when designing plastic or metal components
- Knowledge of 3D printing – must be able to prepare files and send to a printer / submit to multiple vendors for optimum price / lead time. Working knowledge of appropriate materials is a plus.
- Must be able to design and develop parts and assemblies that can be manufacturable in mass production. Prior experience with high volume design is a plus (>1 million units).
- Prior experience working with manufacturing partners to incorporate DFA/DFM
- Must be able to create and manage a BOM
- Must have prior experience prototyping designs and creating a DOE to find the optimal solution
- Must have prior hands-on development experience and be willing to experiment, test, and verify design approaches
- Prior experience traveling to manufacturing sites and participating in prototyping builds
- Ability to represent the mechanical engineering department when participating in cross functional meetings
- Provide leadership and mentoring to continually improve the team and increase capability
- Design cycle experience developing medical devices
- Experience with medical industry regulation, risk management and design controls (ISO 9001, ISO 13485, ISO 14971, FDA, CFR, etc.)
- Able and willing to investigate new technologies and apply advanced engineering principles and practices to solve complex technical problems
- Experience with engineering consulting
- Working knowledge of Solidworks FEA or Design Study
- Working knowledge of Creo
- Experience with advanced CMF techniques (Colors, Materials, Finishes)
- Experience with incorporating sensors or electro-mechanical components
- Product design experience and knowledge of fluid dynamics
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from a four-year accredited college or university
- 10+ years related experience working with a product development company, product development consultancy, and/or related R&D environment
- Medical device experience is a plus
- Ability to travel 5-10%
Jabil, including its subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BE AWARE OF FRAUD: When applying for a job at Jabil you will be contacted via correspondence through our official job portal with a jabil.com e-mail address; direct phone call from a member of the Jabil team; or direct e-mail with a jabil.com e-mail address. Jabil does not request payments for interviews or at any other point during the hiring process. Jabil will not ask for your personal identifying information such as a social security number, birth certificate, financial institution, driver’s license number or passport information over the phone or via e-mail. If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, contact the Federal Bureau of Investigations internet crime hotline (www.ic3.gov), the Federal Trade Commission identity theft hotline (www.identitytheft.gov) and/or your local police department. Any scam job listings should be reported to whatever website it was posted in.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Jabil.com/Careers site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.