Photonics / Optical Test Development Engineer
Req ID: J2360988-SGA
At Jabil we strive to make ANYTHING POSSIBLE and EVERYTHING BETTER. With over 260,000 diverse, talented and dedicated employees across 100 locations in 30 countries, our vision is to be the most technologically advanced and trusted manufacturing solutions provider. We combine an unmatched breadth and depth of end-market experience, technical and design capabilities, manufacturing know-how, supply chain insights and global product management expertise to enable success for the world’s leading brands. We are driven by a common purpose to make a positive impact for each other, our communities, and the environment.
A Photonics/Optics Test Development Engineer is required to perform medium complexity engineering work. The types of work performed include development of test solution quotes, development of test solutions for photonics-technology Products, test crisis support and continuous improvement of core competency.
This position requires Test Development Engineers that have background in designing test solutions for Photonics Products (e.g. Silicon-Photonics Wafer/Die, Pluggable Optics & Transceivers, Optical Line Cards, ROADM, EDFA, Muxponder, etc.).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Development of test solutions:
- Typically receives project-level direction from the project leader
- Typically assigned to develop test specifications and test solutions of medium complexity
- Test solution development tasks are done according to budget and schedule commitments from the test solution quotes
- The tasks comprising a test solution development may include, but are not limited to, Test Strategy design, Test Plan development, Design For Test (DFT), tester concept design, test equipment selection, custom software design, fixture design, test station assembly, debug, validation, deployment, Factory verification, and emergency support of electrical hardware, mechanical hardware, optical hardware and software.
- Electro/Optical hardware typically includes, but is not limited to:
- PSUs, Laser Sources, Optical Amplifiers, OPMs, VOAs, Optical & Electrical Switches, DSO, DCA, OSA, BERT, Optical Filters, TOF, Optical Splitters/Couplers, OSNR setups
- GPIB, USB and RS-232 controlled equipment
- PXI and LXI based test equipment
- Design of custom circuitry implemented in custom circuit boards, and cables
- FPGA/Microcontroller firmware design
- Mechanical hardware typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Mechanical Test Fixtures
- Environmental Stress Screening (ESS) chamber racks
- Bench-test setups
- 19” equipment racks
- Custom automated high-throughput fixtures with probe fields, and top, bottom, and side mounted pneumatically actuated modules, vision-control.
- Software and compilers typically includes, but is not limited to:
- LabWindows/CVI, LabView and TestStand
- C#, ANSI C and Visual C++
- Visual Basic
- HTML, PERL, ASP and custom scripting languages.
- Test development sites develop solutions for several test processes including, but not limited to:
- Wafer-Level PIC Test, Die-Level PIC Test, Laser-Die Test
- Optical-Engine Calibration & Functional Test
- Plugable Optics Tests
- In-Circuit test (ICT) and Manufacturing Defect Analyzer (MDA)
- Boundary Scan/ JTAG
- Board-level functional test
- System test
- The process of developing test solutions includes, but is not limited to:
- Test solution development (Test Strategy, Test Gate Definition, Test Plans, Concept Design, Test Coverage Analysis, Capacity Analysis, DFT)
- Test Station(s) design (hardware, software, fixture, assembly, integration, validation, documentation, deployment, verification, training, factory support)
- Project tracking (action items, journals, time entry, milestones, and deliverables checklists)
- Design reviews (Initial and post-installation)
- Documentation packages (test specification, BOM’s, Test Station setup, Test Procedures, etc.)
- International Travel to deploy testers to Manufacturing Facilities, and train Factory Test Engineers, Technicians, Operators, etc.
Development of test solution quotes:
- Test solution quotes typically include, but are not limited to:
- Test Solution Description (Test Strategy, Test Station concept design(s))
- Assumptions, Required Customer Inputs
- Tester validation criteria and deliverable
- Price and schedule commitment
- The process of developing test solution quotes includes, but is not limited to:
- Use of historical know-how, combined with new, innovative solutions.
- Historical costing templates, completion of quotes on-schedule.
- Adhere to all safety and health rules and regulations associated with this position and as directed by supervisor.
- Comply and follow all procedures within the company security policy.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
MANAGEMENT & SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Typically reports to Management. Direct supervisor job title(s) typically include: Test Development Manager/Technical Program Manager/Project Engineer.
- Job is NOT directly responsible for managing other employees (e.g., hiring/termination and/or pay decisions, performance management).
- Understands Manufacturing Test Strategy and demonstrates proficiency in at least one area of test development.
- Knowledge of Test Development areas including structural and functional test, development of Manufacturing Test Specifications and Design For Test Analysis.
- Demonstrated hands-on practical knowledge in a photonics test development environment.
- Appreciation and understanding of relevant industry standards and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently provide innovative manufacturing test solutions.
- Recognized ability to write, contribute to presentations, speak, and to assist in representing Test Development to other Jabil groups, external customers, and technology peer groups in the industry.
- Must maintain up-to-date knowledge in deployable test technologies as a continuous improvement of core competency.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelors degree required in an engineering discipline from a college or university related to a technology field
- Minimum 3-4 years industry experience in a test development environment
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
Jabil, including its subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BE AWARE OF FRAUD: When applying for a job at Jabil you will be contacted via correspondence through our official job portal with a jabil.com e-mail address; direct phone call from a member of the Jabil team; or direct e-mail with a jabil.com e-mail address. Jabil does not request payments for interviews or at any other point during the hiring process. Jabil will not ask for your personal identifying information such as a social security number, birth certificate, financial institution, driver’s license number or passport information over the phone or via e-mail. If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, contact your local police department. Any scam job listings should be reported to whatever website it was posted in.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Jabil.com/Careers site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.