Descripción del Trabajo
The Sr Packaging Engineer is responsible for identifying, developing, and managing engineering and quality requirements for Packaging products. They will work in a global environment supporting multiple projects and customer / business unit objectives. They shall work with internal and external Customers and suppliers to gather and provide technical direction and competence. Position will be a divisional role based in the Manteca, CA manufacturing facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be proficient in developing packaging materials specifications such as drawings, 3D models, and prototypes to support customer requirements.
- Design/evaluate packaging for awarded and potential business with or without pre-established requirements.
- Re-design packaging for value propositions (quality issues, cost reductions, environmentally safe, etc).
- Make material calculations as material resistance, materials cushioning, stacking resistance, usage, etc.
- Experience with conducting more complex client testing requiring a further understanding of testing standards defined by ISTA and ASTM standards, customer requirement for transportation.
- Provide recommendations to customers on ways they can improve their packaging where there are failures during testing.
- Interpret and develop protocols to designs and evaluate special packaging projects and fixtures as needed to support client or internal testing needs.
- Make volumetric calculations as pieces per box, boxes per pallets, freight space, warehouse space, etc.
- To work with supply chain and AVL suppliers to analyze and quote packaging options. Articulate options with risk/value assessments to team members and stakeholders
- To assist in global packaging RFQ’s, negotiations, and supplier audits.
- Present with data cost effective packaging options and work with team to implement.
- Monitor and participate in packaging testing (compression, vibration, drop, etc) and interpreting reports.
- Communicate packaging information to people who require it (buyers, managers, planners, engineers, suppliers, customer)
- Look for potential new suppliers and new packaging technologies with Global Commodity Manager(s). Form a strong partnership with key supplier contacts.
- Comply and follow all QMS procedures within the company security policy.
- Develop or conduct metrology studies to verify and ensure fit for use and specification compliance on manufactured products.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Mgmt & Supervisory Responsibilities
- Typically reports to Quality Management. Direct supervisor job title(s) typically include Global Quality Engineering Management, and Engineering Manager.
Job is NOT directly responsible for managing other employees (e.g., hiring/termination and/or pay decisions, performance management).
- Self-starter and needs to work with no immediate supervision. Able to navigate a global diverse organization, initiate introductions and seek out information through many channels. Responsible and accountable for his/her actions. Able to work in a growing/fast paced environment.
- AutoCAD, 3D modeling software (preferably Solid works) Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Access), Photoshop. Other software for packaging design or for palletizing is a plus.
- Knowledgeable in Statistical Analysis preferred Minitab and SPC controls.
- Knowledge about ergonomics. Knowledge about Lean manufacturing. Cardboard and foam prototyping, courses taken related to packaging (regulations, testing, environmental factors, packaging designing, etc.) or certifications received from packaging organizations. Knowledge of packaging manufacturing, from raw materials to material transformation and recycling. Other studies can be a plus (six sigma, project administration). To be a member of a packaging organization is a plus.
- Designing packaging for packaging industry, manufacturing industry, automotive industry or for retail products (6 or 7 years), quoting packaging materials, establishing terms of purchasing/delivering and dealing with suppliers (5 years). Launching packaging for new products (5 years). Making packaging prototypes (4 years), participating solving quality issues related to packaging (3 years). Making drawings of packaging materials with specifications (5 years). Making 3D models (4 year). Making or be involved in packaging testing (3 years). Leading packaging projects or managing packaging projects (4 years).
- Good hand drawing, good written and spoken communication. Analytic personality. Imagination for understanding possible causes of damaging or to imagine products that not yet exist based in drawings. Creativity to find functional packaging solutions for a wide range of products, different products each time. Requires finishing projects on time/schedule. Must be a responsible and accountable person.
Knowledge of blow molding, injection molding, pulp thermoforming and down-stream assembly activities a plus.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years Packaging Engineering experience required.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.