The Sr Packaging Engineer is responsible for identifying, developing, and managing supply chain management packaging requirements, while working in a global environment supporting multiple sites and customer / business unit objectives. Provide technical competency/excellence while working with internal/external customers and suppliers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Be proficient in developing packaging materials drawings, 3D models, and renders or prototypes to support requirements.
· Design/evaluate packaging for awarded and potential business.
· Re-design packaging for value propositions (quality issues, cost reductions, environmentally safe, etc).
· Make material calculations as material resistance, materials cushioning, stacking resistance, usage, etc.
· Make cost calculations as yearly spend, material consumption, delivering time, freight cost, etc. Evaluation of ROI to improvement activities.
· Make volumetric calculations as pieces per box, boxes per pallets, freight space, warehouse space, etc.
· Develop and maintain centralized database for all global packaging documentation, drawings, and tooling.
· To work with supply base and quote, analyze packaging options and represent the technical supply chain providing information to managers.
· Work with Account Directors, Materials teams, and Engineering staff to ensure future suppliers are selected and evaluated in accordance with supply chain strategy.
· To assist in global packaging RFQ’s, negotiations, and supplier audits.
· Present with data cost effective packaging options and work with team to implement.
· Monitor and participate in packaging testing (compression, vibration, drop, etc) and interpreting reports.
· Communicate packaging information to people who requires it (buyers, managers, planners, engineers, suppliers, customer)
· Look for potential new suppliers and new packaging technologies with Global Commodity Manager(s). Form a strong partnership with key supplier contacts.
· Comply and follow all procedures within the company security policy.
· May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Self-starter and needs to work with no immediate supervision. Able to navigate a global diverse organization, initiate introductions and seek out information through many channels. Responsible and accountable for his/her actions. Able to work in a growing/fast paced environment.
· Autocad, 3D modeling software (preferably Solidworks. Others: Pro-E, Rhino, Catia, etc.); Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Access), Photoshop. Other software for packaging design or for palletizing is a plus (CAPE, TOPS, etc. )
· Knowledge about ergonomics. Knowledge about Lean manufacturing. Cardboard and foam prototyping, courses taken related to packaging (regulations, testing, environmental factors, packaging designing, etc.) or certifications received from packaging organizations. Knowledge of packaging manufacturing, from raw materials to material transformation and recycling. Other studies can be a plus (six sigma, project administration). To be a member of a packaging organization is a plus.
· Designing packaging for electronic industry, manufacturing industry, automotive industry or for retail products (6 or 7 years), quoting packaging materials, establishing terms of purchasing/delivering and dealing with suppliers (5 years). Launching packaging for new products (5 years). Making packaging prototypes (4 years), participating solving quality issues related to packaging (3 years). Making drawings of packaging materials with specifications (5 years). Making 3D models (4 year). Making or be involved in packaging testing (3 years). Leading packaging projects or managing packaging projects (4 years).
· Good hand drawing, good written and spoken communication. Analytic personality. Imagination for understanding possible causes of damaging or to imagine products that not yet exist based in drawings. Creativity to find functional packaging solutions for a wide range of products, different products each time. Requires finishing projects on time/schedule. Must be a responsible and accountable person.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor's Degree required. Masters Degree preferred.
· Minimum of 8 years Packaging Engineering experience required.
· Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.