Designs, fabricates, modifies, evaluates and documents molded assemblies, components, and systems to produce or improve company products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Develops data and makes preliminary sketches, lay-outs and notes required to present design proposals. Researches basic design factors such as ease of manufacture and availability of materials and equipment. Works with other organizations impacted by design development.
May perform work in a specific sub-specialty such as Automation, Mechanical Engineering, Mold Design, or Tooling. Please see addendum for specific sub-specialty requirements. This description is designed to capture the general elements of Engineering work.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Extensive knowledge & experience in utilizing CAD 3D software such as ProE, Solidworks and etc....in validating mechanical design and design proof of concept
· Knowledge in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing is a must
· Preferably has experience in Mechanical design in a PCBA related industry. Leads design and development of complex sub-assemblies, components, and packaging.
· Leads development and implementation of changes to product design and/or the manufacturing process to achieve efficiency, quality, and/or cost improvements
· Work closely with customers in proposing & validating design changes to improve manufacturability
· May lead product development meetings and makes recommendations to product design changes to enhance manufacturing and assembly.
· Leads customer product design engineering for economic production and serves as technical interface with customers as designated.
· Works with manufacturing to trouble-shoot problems, upgrades, retrofits, set-ups, methods development, and the development of process parameters.
Technical responsibility for design and production of 2D and 3D representations of plastic injection molded assemblies, components, packaging and products.
Technical responsibility for a variety of engineering work in planning and design of products, tools, engines, machines and other mechanically functioning equipment and mechanical industrial processes; oversees production, installation, operation, maintenance and repair of such equipment.
Technical responsibility for designing a broad range of tools, including cutting and forming tools; designs jigs, dies, and fixtures for production or experimental use; resolves design problems related to material characteristics, dimensional tolerances, service requirements, manufacturing procedures and processes and costs. Applies standard mathematical formulas and standard tool engineering data to develop tool configuration and selects standard items for incorporation into tool design. Draws preliminary sketches and prepares layout and detail drawings. Modifies tool designs according to test or production service data to improve tool life or performance.
· Understands processes and has a basic understanding of various manufacturing techniques
· Strong knowledge of engineering theories, design principles and practices, and design evaluation techniques.
· Proficiency in use of personal computers, Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and e-mail skills required.