Lead highly complex PA hardware designs for customer or innovation projects. Responsible for ensuring technical milestones are achieved. Responsible for guiding other engineer team members in PA subsystem designs and leads technical design reviews. Ensures specification requirements input and design outputs align. This engineer will have demonstrated experience at releasing products into a production environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leader in developing and validating PA hardware design applications.
- Leads/supervises PA circuit hardware design and PCB layout designs utilizing standard tools
- Directs all aspects of PA circuit design with minimal supervision
- Mentors/coaches/trains engineers with less experience
- Partners with system architects to review and clarify design requirements and define the appropriate architecture.
- Expertly assemble prototypes, design first powerup, design debug and functional circuit verification.
- Work with and manage external component suppliers/manufacturers and provide input to their product roadmaps
- Communicates technical aspects of a project effectively to customers.
- Define design innovations and potential patentable solutions
- Leads resolution of complex design issues and manages design trade-offs
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
MANAGEMENT & SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Typically reports to Management. Direct supervisor job title(s) typically include: Hardware Design Manager.
- Job is NOT directly responsible for managing other employees (e.g., hiring/termination and/or pay decisions, performance management).
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Experienced with S-parameters, impedance matching
- Understanding of digital communication theory with emphasis on Bit Error Rate, EVM and System Noise Figure calculation
- Experience using Agilent ADS, Ansoft HFSS simulation tools
- Experience with Mentor EDA tools is an asset
- Experience with RF test equipment and methodologies such as Network Analyzer, signal analyzer and spectrum analyzer
- Test experience to include requirement verification in a lab environment as well as product validation in a field environment a strong plus.
- Knowledge of test methods and techniques in relation to Cellular and /or Microwave Radio test engineering
- Strong knowledge/understanding of Radio technologies and modulation such as LTE, CMDA, WiFi, QPSK, FDM, TDM etc.
- Familiarity with Radio test measurements and development of tests using these measurements: IP2, IP3, ACPR, EVM, Single tone and two tone desense, Gain flatness etc…
- Strong design experience and familiarity with high power amplifier design and architectures (Doherty, GaN, class A, AB, GaAs, LDMOS)
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Strong Plus: Automation skills, and familiarity with LabVIEW, Python
NON-TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Team player with internal customers and supply partners
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor degree or above of Electrical Engineering, Microwave, Wireless Communication or equivalent. 3+ years experience in RF hardware design or other key competency
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.